Friday, April 28, 2017

Mourning Dove





     A few days later, my Noble Dove was back on the nest, preparing to raise another family. My husband saw her lay the first egg.


     When I checked the next morning she was gone. Well, most of her was gone. A neighbor told us they had seen a hawk lurking around their birdbath. 




     The male stood at the peak of the neighbor's rooftop calling and calling for his mate. It was heartbreaking; we could hear his mourning from inside our house. He never returned to the nest.


2 comments:

  1. Oh no, that hurts. Poor male.

    My husband just told me that our son forgot to close his chicken coop up last night and one hen was dead this morning, probably a raccoon. She was their youngest prettiest one, a golden color, can't remember her breed.

    Nature is cruel, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sad because birds are such good company. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete