Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Passenger's Photo Album - Nepal



A Hindu holy man at the bus stop in Kathmandu



Out for a stroll with the goats in Butwal



A craftsman in Hetauda


     When my husband is in Nepal, I try not to think about the narrow, winding mountain roads with hairpin turns that he is traveling on. The roads are paved, but as the frequent landslides wreck havoc on them, the term should be loosely applied. The Tribhuvan Highway from Kathmandu to Hetauda is listed as one of the most dangerous roads in the world. Bus accidents are not uncommon and are often fatal as they plunge over the edge of the roadway and down the mountainside. My husband books a seat in a crowded car rather than on an overcrowded bus.




      Nevertheless, I give an inward sigh of relief each time I receive his call at the end of the trip.






     And the consolation for the often harrowing rides are the spectacular views of the hilltop farms and Himalayas along the way.


4 comments:

  1. How does that roll off your tongue so casually...."my husband in Kathmandu..."? Not exactly like a business trip to NYC, is it?

    I'll curb my curiosity and just say intriguing photographs, sweet faces, majestic scenery. I hope they are recovering from the earthquake. It's always seemed such a magical, otherworldly place to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the wonderful view! Great photographs, another reward when hubby comes home, I can totally empathize with your feelings about the dangers of travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I think I'd have to take a tranquilizer if I were riding in any vehicle driving over those roads. Just ask my husband about my fear of driving over the mountain passes in the more scary parts of the highway, a highway not even worth comparing to the roads mentioned in this post.

    Stunning pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  4. with this sort of payoff (the pics) I say 'keep praying!:) and thank-you both for sharing scenes most of us can never even imagine!

    ReplyDelete