Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Toosies Fromsies



     Yes, it is that time of year again when I make my annual foray into crafting. This year I have used those odd bits that I have been collecting for a few years: Scrabble tiles, broken ornaments, wine foil caps, pebbles from the beach, leftover debris in the clearance bin...even a Converse tag that came in a shoe box. The urge to create suddenly came over me in the middle of wrapping gifts at midnight and I plugged in the glue gun to make my own toosies fromsies. I do so love a beautifully wrapped gift.

     I understand if you think I have wasted effort on something that will, most likely, end up in the rubbish heap. But you would be wrong in thinking so. You see, years ago when finances were tight, I couldn't justify buying the really nice gift tags just to throw them out when the gifts were unwrapped. So I began making tags and saving them along with the better store bought ones to reuse year after year. That was long before recycling was cool. Somewhere along the line it became a tradition. My girls look forward to seeing those now vintage tags with the Campbell's soup girl that have been appearing on their gifts since they were babies. My oldest daughter still keeps the tags from her family's gifts to return to me after Christmas.


     I am not a rampant recycler, although I try to do my bit. My primary motivation for this year's craft is my love of bricolage.


Merry Christmas to all of you lovely folks in blogland who come to visit me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm still chuckling over the title and OH! once again originality at its best...
    I'm scrounging to see what, from my accumulated goodies could turn into toosies-fromsies;-0

    Can't wait to show Victoria the snowman.

    Thank-you for spreading The Simple Joys of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea and a great way to use up all those bits and bobs. I do love a beautifully wrapped gift - even more than the contents. Have yourself a merry little Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful stuff and I totally "get" why you do it. I always get the crafting bug every Christmas, too. Every year has it's own style. Last year it was red and white...this year it's silver, lime green, and lots of antique sheet music ephemera.

    ReplyDelete