Sunday, April 12, 2015

Drop Everything and Read



     Nowadays, there seems to be a national day of observance set aside for nearly everything under the sun from the sublime to the ridiculous. I don't think I will be observing International Talk Like a Pirate Day in September, but I recently read about a day set aside that, for me, is too charming to ignore.

Beverly Cleary

     Today is Drop Everything and Read Day, a national celebration of reading held on April 12 in honor of Beverly Cleary's birthday. This beloved author wrote about D.E.A.R over thirty years ago in her book, Ramona Quimby, Age 8. One of my favorite books from childhood was her book, Ellen Tebbits, so I am delighted to drop everything (or nearly everything) and read this afternoon and evening in order to honor such an internationally acclaimed children's author. Besides, just look at that face.

     Typically, I cannot read from more than one book at a time, but today I will be reading from three: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dicionary by Simon Winchester, and The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare.


Perhaps you might care to join me.

4 comments:

  1. Don't mind if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't need an excuse to drop everything and read - if I have a good book on the go then there is nothing I enjoy more - fiction is my genre of choice - quirky fiction particularly - at the moment I am reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - which is as quirky as a quirky thing from quirky land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a wonderful way to spend a wonderful day! I just commented the other day how there is never enough time to read everything I wish I could!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am reading Unbroken. Fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete