Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hot Mess



     We took a Canadian colleague of my husband's to dinner last week. He insisted we try a small plate of poutine. It has been a popular dish in Canada for decades. Perhaps you have heard of it.

     I hadn't.

     French fries smothered in gravy with bits of meat, cheese curds and scallions. It sounded rich, heavy and slightly disgusting to me. A hot mess of grease on grease on grease. Not my idea of deliciousness. But I didn't want to be a stick-in-the-mud so I took a bite. It was rich, heavy and one of the most toothsome appetizers I have ever eaten. I ate a couple of bites of the one we had ordered to share, and then ordered one for my dinner with a house salad to balance the flavors and mitigate the guilt. Crisp fries, tender short rib pieces with savory gravy, melting cheese curds and bright scallions. Yum. I could go for another one right now.

     But I won't. At my age, it isn't the kind of food I can make a habit of; I can't afford to make a hot mess of my health, but you can be sure it won't be the last time I will order poutine.

     And also most likely not for the last time, I am reminded not to judge a book by its cover.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard or poutine but have never had the opportunity to try it...that's one for the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't think I would like it but I am not fond of mixing all my food together unless it is soup. The only thing I liked was your Shepards Pie. Glad to see you were willing to step out if your box and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poutine seems to be one of those dishes that can be as disgusting as you imagined, or as the beautiful plate you experienced! Comfort food for the strongest of stomachs:-)

    ReplyDelete